Fleet Superintendent - Hamburg
- Date Posted:
- 17 May 2017
Who are V. Group?
To put it simply, we are a leading global maritime service provider, specialising in the outsourced technical management of high value maritime assets and the provision of a wide-range of high value supporting technical, workforce and commercial services. We specifically operate in the commercial shipping, cruise, energy and defence sectors. Since the group's formation, we have expanded our range of services and global reach to a point where we are a true leader in the outsourced shipping management sector.
Fleet Superintendent - what does that involve?
You will assume responsibility for the efficient and effective operation of assigned ships and work as a member of the Ships Management Team, operating to company procedures and best ship management practices, with absolute priority given to safety of life at sea and environmental protection.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Plan, control and execute all activities connected with maintenance, repairs, dry-docking, conversion ormodification of assigned vessels.
- Plan, control and execute all activities connected to class and flag state survey and certificate requirementsand build and maintain effective liaison with relevant authorities.
- Formulate a dynamic work plan and action list with the Ships’ Command to ensure that the vessel ismaintained in accordance with Client requirements. Provide regular reports to all interested parties as toprogress of works.
- Work cooperatively with relevant members of the Fleet Cell to co-ordinate all information required for thepreparation of the vessels’ running cost budget. Maintain strict control of all aspects of vessel expenditure,ensure vessel expenditure is accrued to vessel accounts, and take appropriate action to bring costs to budgetlevel. Any potential unbudgeted expenditure must be flagged to the Fleet Manager without delay.
- Monitor vessel performance trends including speed, fuel and lubricating oil consumptions, and implementtimely remedial actions where these are outside agreed or expected parameters.
- In discussion and agreement with the Fleet Manager prepare a ‘visitation plan’ to ensure assigned vessels arevisited at regular intervals and report on general condition, repairs and maintenance, crew performance,safety, environmental protection, and identify any remedial actions required. Discuss with Ships’ Commandthe work plan, running costs, spares and stores situation and other issues of concern and report on same.
- Provide timely and accurate reports to Clients regarding the management, expenditure and condition of thevessel as per the Management Agreement.
- Authorise without delay all undisputed vessel orders for stores, spares, repairs and survey within financial limitof authority. Take appropriate action to ensure the vessel remains adequately stocked for safe and efficientoperation and obtain the Client's approval for any unbudgeted expenditure.
- Through close and cooperative liaison with the MS&Q Superintendent ensure repair of all reported deficiencies,damages and non-conformities are cleared with the minimum of delay.
- Control and monitor the risk for assigned vessels and to act as a member of the risk assessment team forshipboard procedures and operations when called upon to do so.
- Provide assistance as requested to establish the root cause in an incident and/or accident investigation. Takepart in any follow-up review of lessons learned.
- Prepare and/or contribute to any Insurance claims and liaise as appropriate with the client and Underwriters' representatives throughout the claim process.
- When Senior Officers visit the office prior to joining a vessel ensure they are briefed as appropriate, on VMS,fleet requirements, vessel work plan etc. Ensure they have an understanding of the V.Ships ‘one team onegoal’ philosophy and are clear about the standards of performance expected and support available from theFleet Cell & Support Teams ashore.
- Build and maintain a professional and effective working relationship with Senior ships staff.
- Conduct Senior Officer Performance Appraisals in accordance with VMS procedures and as play an active rolein their career development.
What are V. Group looking for?
Ideally, you will be a highly experienced Fleet Superintendent, or will have held a Senior Engineer / Naval Architect position in the maritime sector. You should also hold a recognised Engineering / Naval Architecture qualification, and should be a member of IMarEST. Good planning, communication and people management skills are also important.
What can I expect in return?
V. Group can offer you a market leading salary and benefits package, in addition to significant opportunities for career growth and personal development. This a great opportunity to join a true leader in the maritime sector - a company that has exciting plans for future growth.