Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Fleet Manager and working as an integral part of the Fleet Team, responsible for:
1. Managing the crewing staff to undertake the crew management of all officers, ratings and trainees for the fleet.
2. Overview and monitor the seafarer recruitment processes, ensuring full compliance with VMS.
3. Overview and monitor the behavioural and operational performance of seafarers and play an active part in the development of their careers by utilising the information in Appraisals, Seafarer Development Checklists and Personal Training Record Books. Recommend training needs for improvement requirements on the appraisals and ensure that identified training is carried out by coordinating with the Training Manager for implementation of any training needs and/or recommendation of seagoing personnel. Follow up with the vessel’s masters as required, for any training required to be completed onboard as per the training matrix.
4. Ensuring effective coordination with Regional Marine Operations Offices (Crew) and Third Party Crewing Agencies supplying seafarers to the fleet.
5. Ensuring implementation of procedures in an emergency.
6. Ensuring crew planning is effective in order to manage the seafarer pool in accordance with VMS procedures, agreed terms & conditions of employment and specified experience and training/qualification matrices; advising the Fleet Manager of any deficiencies or concerns.
7. Monitor vessel manning levels ensuring full compliance with relevant international and Flag State legislation, Union agreements ensuring, in consultation with the Fleet Manager, the levels are compatible with the vessel's maintenance needs, trading patterns and owner requirements.
8. ShipSure crewing data quality for the fleet.
9. Ensuring that senior officers visit the Fleet Cell as required by VMS and Fleet Manager requirements.
10. Conduct seafarer de-briefing, advising Fleet Managers regarding all significant feedback.
11. Provide support and guidance on crew welfare matters.
12. Assist in the preparation of crew budgets and ensure adherence to those budgets through effective cost control.
13. Manage crew P&I claims and provide assistance to the Insurance department as required.
14. Approve all Cash to Master requests.
15. Effectively carry out pre-engagement briefing of all seafarers in line with Marine Operations and Fleet Manager requirements.
16. In liaison and collaboration with the Fleet Manager, schedule and provide input to Crew Seminars.
17. In liaison and collaboration with the Fleet Manager, identify and visit vessels with crew related concerns.
18. Promoting the development of professional working relationships with crewing staff, the Fleet team and individual seafarers.
19. Develop both professionally and personally direct reports by carrying out meaningful and timely performance appraisals and reviews. This includes the identification of training & development requirements to the line manager for agreement and inclusion in the Office training plan