Technical Author - Glasgow (3 month contract)
- Date Posted:
11 April 2018
Who are V. Group?
To put it simply, we are a leading global maritime service provider, specialising in the outsourced technical management of high value maritime assets and the provision of a wide-range of high value supporting technical, workforce and commercial services. We specifically operate in the commercial shipping, cruise, energy and defence sectors. Since the group's formation, we have expanded our range of services and global reach to a point where we are a true leader in the outsourced shipping management sector.
Technical Author - what does that involve?
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
ShipSure is an in-house developed integrated information technology platform, which drives V.Group’s global ship management operations including crew management, vessel accounting and procurement. Taking both automated and manual data feeds; the ShipSure application provides real-time data on the vessel’s safety, technical and financial performance
V.Group is currently carrying out a major redevelopment of ShipSure using an oversight team based in Glasgow and development team based in Mumbai. Within V.Group there are thousands of ShipSure users both on-board vessels and in office locations around the world.
The Technical Author is a critical position for ensuring that ShipSure meets the needs of the business and that users can use the software effectively.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Establish an understanding of ShipSure and then design and produce technical information to explain it to various audiences.
· Provide information in a variety of mediums to help both new and existing users to become effective with the new version of ShipSure as quickly as possible.
o Plan and develop online user guides for using MadCap Flare
o Plan, script and produce online videos to support self-paced learning by users.
· As well as for users, provide information to support system administrators, technical support technicians, implementation consultants, sales, and marketing activities associated with a software product.
· Liaison with other internal and external parties as required.
· Supporting others in ISD on business and technical issues where appropriate.
· Any other duties, which the Group Information Systems Director may require to be carried out.
What are V.Group looking for?
· Degree qualified or relevant professional qualification
· Solid experience of technical or procedural writing, including how-to video creation.
· A strong copywriter with experience and interest in working with tool documentation or how-to content is also a good fit for this role
· A clear, concise and precise writing style
· A flair for turning technical subjects and jargon into easily understood text
· The ability to absorb information quickly and a curiosity for exploring things technical and learning how they work
· An eye for detail
· Proficient using MadCap Flare
· Ability to interact with subject matter experts especially how to ask questions and learn from the answers.
· A talent in showing ideas graphically
· Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment preferred but not essential
What can I expect in return?
In addition to a market leading salary and benefits package, you can expect significant opportunities for career progression and personal growth.