Marine Superintendent - Aberdeen
- Date Posted:
23 April 2018
Who are V. Group?
To put it simply, we are a leading global maritime service provider, specialising in the outsourced technical management of high value maritime assets and the provision of a wide-range of high value supporting technical, workforce and commercial services. We specifically operate in the commercial shipping, cruise, energy and defence sectors. Since the group's formation, we have expanded our range of services and global reach to a point where we are a true leader in the outsourced shipping management sector.
Marine Superintendent – what does that involve?
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
· To ensure the safe operation of the ships to which he has been assigned and to provide a link between the Company and those on board to monitor the safety and pollution prevention aspects of the operation and to ensure that adequate resources and shore based support are applied as required.
· It is the employee’s responsibility to ensure Health and Safety is adhered to at all times. All new starters receive Health and Safety training as part of their induction. Health and Safety information can also be found in the Employee Handbook.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Monitor the office/cell and shipboard marine, safety, security, environmental & quality issues.
• Control and monitor the risk for assigned vessels and to act as part of the risk assessment team for shipboard procedures and operations when called upon to do so.
• Monitor the voyage and nautical performance of assigned vessels providing assistance to the Master as necessary.
• Conduct the duties of the CSO as prescribed by the ISPS Code
• Ensure that client relationships are pro-actively developed by continually improving the level of service provided in accordance with the management agreement.
• Act as client interface as required on all marine and nautical matters.
• Maintain ISM and ISPS Certification and assist in the formulation of shipboard annual audit plan to ensure that audits are progressed (in conjunction with Director — Marine & Safety).
• Ensure compliance with the Bibby Management System by conducting internal audits ashore and on board, and review and reply to documentation received from vessels
• Conduct vessel inspections to confirm compliance with SOLAS, MARPOL, Load Line, STCW, ILO Conventions and applicable industry codes. Verify that any corrective action is agreed upon and implemented in a timely manner.
• Assist in the maintenance of records of accidents, incidents, near misses and non-conformance reports. Verify that an effective investigation is carried out and appropriate corrective action is agreed upon and implemented in a timely manner.
• Co-ordinate the provision of specialist advice on all marine and nautical issues to vessels and office staff. Evaluate vessel requirements with regard to mooring ropes, marine and safety equipment.
• When appointed, act as Management Representative as per ISO 9001 / 2000 and ISO 14001. Assist line management with the functioning of the Bibby Management System.
• Act as a member of the Emergency Response Team during an emergency.
• Assist with the arrangement of third party inspections such as Oil Major, CDI and flag state inspections and co-ordinate response.
• If required, handle/liaise with the Master on P&I and Insurance claims.
• Interview and brief senior officers on the M&S matters during office attendance.
• Monitor shipboard drug and alcohol testing.
• Monitor the charts and nautical publications supply process to vessels ensuring corrections and updates are provided as necessary.
• Any other duties as required by the Director - Marine & Safety to meet individual office requirements.
What are V. Group looking for?
• In depth understanding of the industry and knowledge of key stakeholders
• Previous track record of successful business leadership.
• Have held a previous position at a senior level in the industry.
• Understanding of financial accounts.
• Ability to network professionally at appropriate level with internal and external stakeholders
• Ability to lead and motivate multifunctional teams.
• Successful influencing skills with the ability to positively challenge to make changes.
• Previous experience of leading multinational teams.
• Relevant industry or related industry qualification.
What can I expect in return?
V. Group can offer you a market leading salary and benefits package, in addition to significant opportunities for career growth and personal development. This a great opportunity to join a true leader in the maritime sector - a company that has exciting plans for future growth
Contact: Gary Robinson