Crew Manager - Gdynia
- Date Posted:
31 July 2018
Who are V. Group?
At V.Group, our ambition is to drive the transformation of our industry and to be the leading global provider of marine support services. Our values (The 5 C’s – We Care, We Collaborate, We Challenge, We are Consistent, We Commit and Deliver) are at the heart of everything we do and describe how we work and the promises that we make to our customers and each other. We only succeed if we are enabling our customers to be successful - we aim to be a standard setter, shaping the future. We aim to work as one global team, easy to do business with and providing a consistently high level of service.
We are always interested to speak with talented individuals - people who will demonstrate our values and deliver great service for customers, whether external or internal.
Crew Manager - what does that involve?
- To ensure that each vessel of the managed fleet is adequately and competently manned, and operated within a prescribed budget in accordance with the applicable ship management / crew management agreement.
- To manage the Crew Department and ensure delivery of an effective and efficient crewing service to all stakeholders.
- To demonstrate active support of the V Ships Seafarer’s Charter and Ten Commitments.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES and TASKS:
Manage and control the split of responsibilities between the Ship Management Office (SMO) and the Crew Management Office for crew functions/activities via use and maintenance of the Crew Function Control spreadsheet.
- Plan and monitor the appointment of personnel to vessels in accordance with VMS procedures, agreed terms & conditions of employment and specified experience and training/qualification matrices; advise the Fleet Manager of any deficiencies or doubts.
- Monitor vessel manning levels ensuring full compliance with relevant international and Flag State legislation, Union agreements ensuring, in consultation with the Fleet Manager, the levels are compatible with the vessel's maintenance needs, trading patterns and owner requirements.
- Using ShipSure Crew ensure effective and efficient planning of reliefs in accordance with terms and conditions of employment.
- Prepare and make available (using ShipSure or V.Net Collaboration) a 12 month forward-looking Crew Rotation Plan in respect of every full technical and crew managed vessel.
- Overview and monitor the seafarer recruitment processes used by the MSO and/or Recruitment Agents ensuring full compliance with VMS. Inform the Divisional Crew Director of any problems and/or concerns relating to processes or performance.
- Ensure all seafarer data is entered accurately in to ShipSure so that up-to-date information is available at all times.
- In liaison with the Fleet Manager provide a welcoming and supportive environment when seafarers visit the office for any reason.
- Provide an appropriate level of sensitive and diplomatic support and guidance on crew welfare matters.
- Maintain, in respect of Crew Management Contracts, a Client Portfolio containing information as documented in VMS.
- Assist in the preparation of crew budgets and ensure adherence to those budgets through effective cost control.
- Keep the MD updated on crewing issues. When new business is being negotiated provide crew risk assessments and general guidance to inform the process.
- Monitor crew P&I claims and provide assistance to the Insurance department as required.
- Approve all Cash to Master requests.
- In liaison and collaboration with relevant SMO/MSO colleagues schedule Crew Department personnel to attend, and input to, Crew Seminars and/or Ship visits.
- Overview and monitor the behavioural and operational performance of seafarers and play an active part in the development of their careers by utilising the information in Appraisals, Seafarer Development Checklists and Personal Training Record Books.
- In addition to STCW and statutory requirements make recommendations regarding non-certification related crew training and provide assistance as required to the Group Training & Planning Manager in the effective implementation of crew training programmes.
- Actively uphold and promote the philosophy of ‘one team one goal’ and support the development of a professional working relationship with MSO personnel, the ship management team and individual seafarers.
- Develop both professionally and personally direct reports by carrying out meaningful and timely performance appraisals and reviews. This includes the flagging of training & development requirements to the MD for agreement and inclusion in the Office training plan.
What can I expect in return?
In addition to a market leading salary and benefits package, V.Group is committed to providing colleagues with significant opportunities for personal development and career progression.